Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

A Present Meant for a King

Today is December 19th and there are only a few more days till Christmas.  This afternoon I was going to wrap Christmas presents while my girls were at school and my little guy was napping, but he didn't like that idea and decided to take a very short nap.  So, I had to go to plan B.  We decided to run a few errands to accomplish something. 

In the car on the way to our destination, I had the radio tuned in on the local Christmas music.  I really enjoy listening to the songs and one of my all time favorites came on.  The Little Drummer Boy.  Usually I sing along, not really thinking about the lyrics, but this time I was just listening.  The words came into my head and spun around until they stuck me hard.  This little boy was in the presence of the King, the Savior of the world and he had nothing to offer.  I thought how heart breaking that would be, to want to give the most special gift to this most special baby, but to have nothing.  How horrible I would feel.  I feel bad enough not being able to find something really good for those who are special to me, but I could only imagine how much harder that would be, not to have a gift for the Savior.

But then the song continues and the little boy offers to play his drum for the Christ Child.  That was the most the boy had and he gave it and it was more than enough.  The Lord only asks us to give our best and that is enough.  With these thoughts and feelings swimming through me, they had to come out somewhere.  There I was driving along, tears streaming down my face, but I didn't care, because I knew the Lord was pleased with my simple want to give my best.  These are the wonderful presents we should be offering this special time of year and I hope we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment