Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2020

The Bridegroom Comes

 


The Bridegroom Comes

I have always loved the story of the Ten Virgins, mostly because it is about women.  I really didn't understand the full meaning behind these women, but I knew that I wanted to be one of the wise.  I wanted to have my lamp burning strongly when the Bridegroom would come.  

In this story there are five wise virgins, who have been waiting for the Bridegroom to come and call them to the wedding ceremony.  They have been preparing for this moment by having oil in their lamps incase he should come during the night.  

There were also five unwise virgins, who instead of preparing and watching for the Bridegroom, they spent their time doing frivolous things.  They knew that he would come and they knew about when that time would be, but they were more concerned with the joys of everyday life, than the joy that would come in the end. 

Well, it happened, the Bridegroom came and it was in the night.  His servants called for the women to come and the only ones that could go, were the wise virgins, because they had oil in their lamps, so they could see to go to him.  Sadly, the other virgins were not able to go, even though they begged for oil from the wise virgins.  The women wanted to help and share, but could not, because they then might not have enough to make it to the ceremony for themselves.

At this point in the story, I always felt sad that these women could not go into the marriage ceremony.  I had a hard time understanding why the light could not be shared.  Even today, I still feel badly for these women who aren't even real.  Maybe I feel this way, because I know they are based on real people and I care very deeply about them.  These are women I try to share my light with, but sadly, the light does not shine for them on the path, the way it shines for me.  It is as if the light is not coming from a lamp at all, but from the soul and this light is individually built, so only that person will have the power to see its glow.  That power that makes the light stronger is our belief in Jesus Christ, that he is our Savior and will come again.

Jesus Christ is central in this story, he is the Bridegroom.  He is coming to us, one of the virgins.  In Jewish custom, during Christ's time, a marriage ceremony between a man and women would take place under a canopy, where the marriage agreement would be signed.  They would drink wine to celebrate the betrothal as a married couple.  Even though they were married, they would not go off together to start their own family.  After a day of celebration, the Bridegroom would leave to prepare a home for his bride and the bride would prepare things to fill their future home.  These would be things such as oil and clothing.  This process would last about a year.  

After this year, the Bridegroom would then return, unannounced to collect his Bride and complete the marriage ceremony.  Sometimes the Bridegroom would come in the night and everyone would go out to meet him and celebrate.  Everyone needed to be prepared for such an event.  If the bride was not prepared and watching, she would miss him and in turn, miss completing the marriage.  If she was prepared with oil in her lamp, then she would go to her husband, complete the ceremony of marriage and after more celebration, the couple would consummate their marriage and live together as man and wife.

With this added knowledge  of the background of the Jewish marriage custom, it truly changed the way I looked at the parable of the ten virgins.  It wasn't just a nice story about women.  It became a story that helped me develop deep gratitude for my Savior.  He is my Bridegroom, just as he is yours and everyone's.  He signed a contract, which was that of the atonement and resurrection.  He bound us to him with his blood.  He then went to prepare a place or a home for us in heaven.  When he comes again, in all his glory, will I have done my part of the signed contract, by saying I would come to earth and follow him?  Will I have stored oil, or testimony in my heart.  Will I have made clothing or routines of righteousness to protect myself and my family against the harsh elements of Satan?  If I have done these things, then I will be prepared to follow him, the Bridegroom, to the celebration which is eternal life and exaltation.

The thought of an excited bride not going to her own wedding, because she hadn't done simple every day tasks, is one that causes me real sadness.  I can just picture a young man, who has worked hard for a year, preparing his wife's home, just to find out, that she hasn't honored her part of the marriage contract.  That he was not important enough to her. Is that how Christ will find us when he returns?  With all my heart, I hope not.  Let us build up our oil supply, so that our lamps may burn bright for that great day.


1 comment:

  1. This is truly beautiful! Thank you so much for the insight you brought to this parable! It really gives it greater meaning to me!

    ReplyDelete